November 22, 2015

Pray, Advocate, Minister: A Call to Action to End Homelessness and Child Poverty



As I am writing this, it is National Housing Day in Canada.  Two days before was Universal Children’s Day.  A sad fact connects these two days.  Thirty-one per cent of children in my hometown of Saint John, NB live in poverty.  This breaks Jesus’ heart.  It should break everyone else's heart too, not least of all his followers in Saint John.


“Jesus wept.” John 11:35

Poverty is a scary word.  The word smacks of the idea of being less than everyone else.  “Certainly”, we tell ourselves, “we are all equal.  No one is less valuable simply because they are poor.”  In reality, however, this is not the case.  Not even close.  It is too simple to define poverty as only not having enough money, but in a world where everything costs money – prosaic things like food and symbolic things like status – not having enough money is certainly a big part of poverty.

"In the image of God he created them..." Genesis 1:27 (NLT)

Homelessness slaps me in the face every day.  The shelter I work at has been getting around 18 men a night for the last few weeks.  I call them “my guys”.  I want every single one of my guys to have his own place.  As a man of faith, I pray for this regularly.  If you are also a woman or man of faith I would appreciate it if you would pray for this too.  Please pray for something in particular though.  Pray that the place my guys get is both safe and affordable.  I will not be satisfied if one of my guys leaves the shelter for a slum apartment.  As a Christian, I will not accept slums as a solution to homelessness.  To do so is not only bad social policy, it is sin.  Nor will I be satisfied if the only safe and healthy housing available costs so much as to be out of reach of my guys.  Again, this would be bad social policy and sin.*

"...for love comes from God...if we don’t love people we can see, how can we love God, whom we cannot see?" 1 John 4:7 & 20 (NLT)


An astute reader will notice that I began this essay with a statistic about child poverty and a mention of the recent past of Universal Children’s Day before moving into a bit about a men’s homeless shelter.  Perhaps this seems odd to you, but it does not to me.  I see child poverty and adult poverty as intimately connected.  It is very easy to get behind plans that help poor kids.  Who wouldn’t, in fact?  Frankly, it would sort of sting to be compared to one of the grown-ups in Oliver Twist.  Adults though, they may be another story.  It can be easy to look at adults and think that some adults deserve to be poor, even when other adults appear to be unwilling victims of poverty.  This means that sometimes people, even for folks like me who are Christians who work with poor adults and should theoretically know better than to judge, will make this judgement. 

"Away with your noisy hymns of praise!  I will not listen... Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice, an endless river of righteous living." Amos 5:23-24 (NLT)
   
I don’t want to argue about poor adults now, though, so let’s save that for another time.  I want to talk about kids and to offer us a “perhaps” to ponder.  Perhaps all of the helps that we want to get rid of for adults will actually take help away from kids too.  Perhaps the benefits that a “deserves to be poor” adult receives actually help children too.  Perhaps the 1/3 of Saint John children that are poor live with poor parents and perhaps it will hurt kids when we decide that their adults deserve to be poor so receive no help.  Perhaps.

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ Matthew 25:40 (NLT)

Being a Christian is hard.  Sometimes very.  Despite being raised in the church, despite making my very own faith commitment at eleven years of age, and despite having a degree from a fancy seminary, my instinct doesn’t always line up with Jesus.  My instinct says to keep everything I have.  After all, I work hard and earned it.  My instinct says to think loving my neighbour means only loving people like me.  After all, I know their struggles are the result of nothing more than bad luck.  My instinct says to protect myself when I see a poor person.  After all, I know enough to realize that I might end up like them.  Jesus sees my instincts.  He died and resurrected to recreate me as a person without these instincts.  He is changing my instinct to love even when love seems foolish, even if I grumble the whole time he changes me.  My instinct says to follow the culture.  My God says to counter the culture. 

“...tell him what you have seen and heard—the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor.” Luke 7:22 (NLT)

I am a Christian.  I will end with a call to those of you who call me brother.  I write to sisters and to brothers.  Here are three concrete actions for you to do in the face of the disgusting amount of child poverty in Saint John and the equally disgusting housing crisis in Saint John. 

1.     Pray.  I really hate the idea starting with a cliché here, but I think prayer is a good idea rather than mere cliché.  Pray for people in need that God will fill their needs.  Pray for yourself that God will use you to fill these needs.  Pray for everyone that we will remember Jesus’ claim that we don’t live by bread alone.  So much of the problems that allow poverty are problems with attitude.  The very nature of prayer will fix that.
2.    Advocate.  Ending child poverty and ending the housing crisis will have, in part, a political aspect.  We live in a democracy so are self-governing.  This means you will need to learn about these issues and learn about potential solutions.  Then, tell your city council, your mayor, your MLA, and your MP.  They were elected to represent you.  Don’t hesitate to bug them. (Politely, of course.  Being a twit won’t help anything.  Christ was humble so his followers are too.)  If they don’t want to hear from you, then they shouldn’t have run for office.
3.    Minister.  This is the other side of advocate.  Child poverty and lack of safe and affordable housing are both complicated issues.  Believing that they will be solved in a day – or even a political term – is, well, stupid.  This means that alongside our advocacy we must meet immediate needs today and again tomorrow and again next month.  God tells us as much in Micah 6:8 when we are told to love mercy and to do justly.  Reality is too complicated for eithers and ors. 

"...this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them... poor as she is, has given everything she has.” Luke 21:3-4 (NLT)



Change Starts at Home from Community Council on Homelessnes on Vimeo.

*Since you are praying anyway, would you mind adding the folks who use Coverdale Centre for Women and Safe Harbour Transitional Youth Services to your petition?  A pair of other great shelters in Saint John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment